Introduce yourself
 A Bit Of a Fastback Fan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Panky

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2017 :  17:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Panky's Homepage  Send Panky an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, my name is John and I'm a Fastback fan. I don't actually own one (yet) but as the title suggests I have a bit of one, namely an engine I picked up for £20 about ten years ago that is now residing in my Commer Auto-Sleeper. I cleaned it up, dropped it in and ran it for a couple of years before it came out again for a refresh. New mains and big end shells (crank was perfect) bore hone and new rings had it back to rude health and propels the camper to speeds it wasn't intended to do, and with the overdrive box high speed cruising is quite relaxed.
You seem quite an enlightened bunch on here so hopefully there wont be any arms thrown up in horror at the thought of a Rapier engine pinched for an old van (still Rootes Group though) and welcome a Commerfan into your Rapierfan circle.

Harvey the RV

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2017 :  21:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, John. May I compliment your excellent taste in cars!

You are not alone with having a rapier engine in a commer, Jon who is a member on here has a holbay engine in his.
Go to Top of Page

Panky

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  20:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Panky's Homepage  Send Panky an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome We also have another Commer, a Jennings Roadranger, but apart from an SU carb conversion and overdrive that's pretty standard. The rest of the fleet consists of a Morris Minor Traveller and my daily driver a '91 Mini Cooper (proper one). I think the Traveller will be sold on, once I've tidied it up a bit, then hopefully I'll be on the hunt for a Fastback
I think I may have met Jon on the Commervanfan forum but it would be nice to talk Rapiers on here.

Bonnie the Roadranger

Ted the Traveller

Coop the Cooper

Go to Top of Page

onefunkyman

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2017 :  17:37:37  Show Profile  Visit onefunkyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Panky,

Welcome to my world! you were kind enough to welcome me to the Commer club when i joined so i'd like to return the favour and welcome you to the Rapier club.

Although my Commer PB still isn't on the road, i have left it in storage with a fine custodian, my dad - none other than the Rapier club president do't you know!

This is a very friendly club and i'm sure there are many like minded folks on here that would be happy to offer advice etc, hopefully we will be able to have a joint show somewhere/somewhen??

any one out there fancy another joint ARCC national rally??

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Panky

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2017 :  13:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Panky's Homepage  Send Panky an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave
Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to join the merry ranks of Rapier owners, until then I'm a firm fan.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000