Introduce yourself
 G.Day from down under
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback Paul

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2019 :  03:18:22  Show Profile  Send Fastback Paul an AOL message  Reply with Quote
G, Day...greetings from the Sunshine State! My fixation with rapiers began as a lowly, skint art student in 87. I had a MK1 GLX capri that caught fire and burnt out. I needed transport to get to uni and a local guy in Cornwall offered me a 69 Rapier with some tax and ticket for the remains of the capri. It was gold and had rust in all the usual places but helped make the summer of 89 one of the best of my life. Some years later it declined to proceed and ended up parked up on the driveway for a year until it went to the breakers yard. But I never forgot that summer. In 94 I bought a fastback Alpine from the at the time spares secretary of the SROC who lived near me in Hastings. It cost me 50 quid and I ran it till its MOT ran out about a year later...then in a moment of insanity I bought a wrecked rapier from a breakers yard in Paddock wood Kent and began to make a H120 clone. Years went by and I married and moved to Australia. I had always wanted a H120 and a couple of years ago I had the money to buy one and import it into Australia. And that's how CRU800L came into my life. Since then I have been doing a bit of tidying and getting it ready for Australian compliance. The rules for 72 are pretty strict here so had to fit inertia reel seatbelts and a collapsible steering column amongst other things. The first thing I noticed about the rapier was how responsive and quick it was and how level it drove with the spax suspension all around with minimal body roll...i loved it instantly...this one is a keeper! I believe it is the only H120 in Oz and cant wait to register it and get out and about...everytime I do a test run up my road heads turn and you can see that 'What the hell is that look!' Would love to post some pictures but for the life of me it wont allow me to...any ideas?

Paul OSullivan

Edited by - Fastback Paul on 28 Aug 2019 03:21:10

Commerlad

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2019 :  16:06:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See this section on photo's.

http://www.sroc.org.uk/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=28

You either need to use small ones directly or have them on a hosting site.

Sometimes I think laterally, but then I have to get up!

Edited by - Commerlad on 29 Aug 2019 16:07:46
Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2019 :  10:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum, Paul.

There was quite a story with your car being offered for sale on eBay several times before Jon eventually bought it and turned it's fortunes around. Good to hear that it is flying the Rapier flag down under.

Hope you manage to get some pictures on here.

Jason
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Paul

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2020 :  03:42:01  Show Profile  Send Fastback Paul an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback Paul

G, Day...greetings from the Sunshine State! My fixation with rapiers began as a lowly, skint art student in 87. I had a MK1 GLX capri that caught fire and burnt out. I needed transport to get to uni and a local guy in Cornwall offered me a 69 Rapier with some tax and ticket for the remains of the capri. It was gold and had rust in all the usual places but helped make the summer of 89 one of the best of my life. Some years later it declined to proceed and ended up parked up on the driveway for a year until it went to the breakers yard. But I never forgot that summer. In 94 I bought a fastback Alpine from the at the time spares secretary of the SROC who lived near me in Hastings. It cost me 50 quid and I ran it till its MOT ran out about a year later...then in a moment of insanity I bought a wrecked rapier from a breakers yard in Paddock wood Kent and began to make a H120 clone. Years went by and I married and moved to Australia. I had always wanted a H120 and a couple of years ago I had the money to buy one and import it into Australia. And that's how CRU800L came into my life. Since then I have been doing a bit of tidying and getting it ready for Australian compliance. The rules for 72 are pretty strict here so had to fit inertia reel seatbelts and a collapsible steering column amongst other things. The first thing I noticed about the rapier was how responsive and quick it was and how level it drove with the spax suspension all around with minimal body roll...i loved it instantly...this one is a keeper! I believe it is the only H120 in Oz and cant wait to register it and get out and about...everytime I do a test run up my road heads turn and you can see that 'What the hell is that look!' Would love to post some pictures but for the life of me it wont allow me to...any ideas?

Paul OSullivan

Paul OSullivan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000