Rapier Fastback heater hose water connections
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

72RPR

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2018 :  05:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am about to replace the heater water hoses on my Rapier which has a heated manifold.
All the illustrations I have seen show the thermostat to heater hose going to the bottom tap pipe fitting and the other shows upper tap fitting going to the rear of the manifold.
When I look at the car itself, these hoses are presently connected the other way round?
At present the heater does not have a hot function. Wonder if this reversal of hoses has anything to do with the non-functioning of the heater?

jimlagos

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2018 :  16:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Australia.
My Series 5 Rapier has the hose from the top of the water pump going straight to the heater unit. The other side of the heater returns through a pipe going to the tapping at the rear of the cylinder head.
This leaves the inlet manifold un-heated. Heating of the manifold is only any help in Arctic cold conditions. I imagine that won't affect you too often!

jim
Go to Top of Page

bigt80

United Kingdom
1051 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2018 :  11:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I always forget which way around they are supposed to go, but I didn't find it caused issues with the heater, which ever way round I put them. I think correct is the bottom one from the heater outlet goes to the bottom of the thermostat housing & the top one to the top of water pump (via the manifold on std. cars).
I agree with jimlagos; don't bother with the water heated inlet manifold - just use an Alpine or H120 heather hose direct to the water pump. 1st thing I did was cut the connections off the manifold - looks neater and I found car ran better without that set up :-). G
Go to Top of Page

72RPR

Australia
33 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2018 :  07:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, in the end, I just reconnected up the hoses the way they were, but with the thermo one at the lower of the two. Might as well use them as they had come from Speedy Spares all the way to Aus.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000