Spax Adjustable Dampers.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HunterGLS

Ireland
95 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  13:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have experience of these on a Fastback or Hunter?
I need to replace the front struts on my 1972 Hunter.

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/660325/hillman/spax-adjustable-front-dampers/tag1044-i.html

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/661291/hillman/spax-adjustable-rear-dampers/g350.html

Are they complete units or just inserts?

Edited by - HunterGLS on 21 Oct 2012 13:40:59

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  14:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get in touch with Martin - username UMU. He has adjustable shocks on his fastback and was looking at some spax replacements.

Go to Top of Page

UMU

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2012 :  18:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evening!

like Jason said I am running adjustable coil overs on the front and spax shocks on the rear.
I have never seen or heard of any others to date and as a result dont know a great deal about them.

Going by the pics in the links though - both fornt and rears you have found look like the rears only. They are the yellow and black shock absorber pictured in both.

The front ones look like theses http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUSPENSION-STRUT-SUNBEAM-ALPINE-COUPE-RAPIER-RH-/190565668107?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5e99550b except they also have a thread that retracts and expands the unit.

I have a spare set of these standard ones for mine and if mine get any worse will look into putting them on.

What is the stance of yours? do you have any pics.
Once mines back from the bodyshop (a bit of rust repair) ill try and finally get pics of my fornt shock and put them one.

(mine is 3-4'' lower that standard)

Go to Top of Page

JPSH120

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  08:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pics are misleading but the description and prices are different. Front strut will look mike the one on the left of this picture - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPAX-Adjustable-Shock-TALBOT-Hillman-Hunter-66-79-/180595116661?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2915656063535402573%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D180595116661%26

Be careful to check what you get if you buy, I would guess the front strut will not come with the spring, presumably you can use the OE ones?

Was there not another post discussing this, I remember you and Thomas thinking about getting some?

Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  20:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still thinking of getting them sadly...
There is a guy on the SROC group on facebook who bought the full set from spax but the fronts appear to be inserts only! These would need the original strut housings to work.. If you then want to lower the car, as martin's car is and looks absolutely stunning!!! You can use a set of front springs of an '80 sierra I believe... but you can check that elsewhere.. I keep forgetting...
I will probably end u buying the spax's to though..

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  22:39:14  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The spax fronts I used twenty years ago were just inserts. This is a real problem if the struts are damaged at the top - and it's very difficult to remove the original insert without damaging the threads or stretching the metal at the top of the strut.
The problem is that the tops are staked - the top of the strut is hammered into a slot in the nut that holds the insert in.
This stretches the metal at the top of the strut and damages the threads.

My experience is that the standard front dampers are fine if they are in good condition. The main thing is to throw away the original springs, they are far too soft, and replace them with something about 40% stiffer.

The '73 onwards struts can use a 1980's Sierra spring. The spring rate seems to be about the same, so a 40% uprated Sierra spring works well.

Go to Top of Page

HunterGLS

Ireland
95 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2012 :  23:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting.

I think I will stick with new original front struts, what springs are people using with the pre 73 struts?

I've looked into getting new front springs made and got a quote of £75 each.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback Thomas

Belgium
423 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  13:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is a replacement for the pre '73 struts..
My dad says he doesn't mind taking a strut apart to give it new inserts as we have done this before with original inserts...
So probably still going for the spax..
And maybe later get the springs not sure yet..

'68 sunbeam rapier fastback {B341006846 OD/LHO}
I like a car that looks normal but really knocks your socks off!!
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  20:58:02  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With the Spax I had there were, I think, 10 settings for the dampers.
I started on 5 but the car felt very odd, almost solid at the front.
If I pushed down on the front of the car it did not move.
I went down to setting 2 which was Ok. Eventually I settled on 1, the softest.

If these new ones dampers are as hard as they were twenty years ago I think you will find them too much.

"Leda" do suspension for the Hunter and Rapier but they are expensive.
I think they might also do springs for the early cars, if not you will need to get them made or find some 73 onwards type struts (which bolt straight on).

My recommendation would be standard shocks, stiffer springs and lower the whole car 20 - 25mm. This reduces body roll and improves cornering (especially when doing something daft like braking into a corner or junction), and won't shake the fillings loose from your teeth

Edited by - 1922 on 24 Oct 2012 20:59:08
Go to Top of Page

HunterGLS

Ireland
95 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2012 :  22:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will contact Leda and see if they have some springs, how much stiffer do you recommend?

The company I contacted was Rossendale Road Springs, they would need the original to make a copy.
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2012 :  20:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a full set of Sierra -40mm lowering springs for £39 from www.tuning.co.uk .... had to buy a set of four, but they were selling them for £39 a set. I asked the guy why they were so cheap and he told me that they had bought all the stock up from a company that had gone bust and were selling off the stuff that was less likely to sell as they hadn't got enough space for it all.

This was a couple of years ago but it could be worth a shot. Wish I'd bought more now. They are the progressive type that get harder the more pressure that you put on them, so as to improve the handling on tight bends.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Go to Top of Page

United Kingdom
549 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2012 :  11:05:06  Show Profile  Visit 1922's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The spring rates on Sierra seem much the same.
My springs are, I'm pretty sure, 40% stiffer, but I like a firmer ride than most.

Go to Top of Page

HunterGLS

Ireland
95 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2013 :  22:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to try the Sierra springs on the '74 Hunter. Does it matter what year or model? I'm guessing an early 1.6.

1972 Hillman Hunter GLS
1973 NSU Ro 80
1974 Fiat 130 Coupe
1973 Audi 100 GL
1979 Audi 100 Avant
1981 Audi 200 5T
1982 Audi 100 CS
Go to Top of Page

andyb

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2013 :  22:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on with front springs next
I am awaiting the return of the struts (late type) from gaz
The car is currently on early flat pan struts but running some new springs (of unknown origin)
Not sure until I remove them if they have ground flat ends
I am sure Mk 1 Sierras have also have early/ late struts will have to let you know my findings it may help you decide.

sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Go to Top of Page

arrocuda

United Kingdom
501 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2013 :  08:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fitted the Sierra springs to a Rapier that was first registered in August '72 and they fitted into the keeps perfectly. So I can only say that from my experience the post '73 quoted earlier may not be absolute in that some inconsistencies in build might have occurred at the time. Don't forget that if you want to lower the front end you will need to buy Sierra lowering springs as the standard ones are not much different than the standard Rapier ones.

As I recall when I fitted mine I only needed to compress the spring by about 15mm in order to fit the top assembly to the strut, whereas the original ones had to be compressed by about 80mm before I could dismantle the strut.

Building the 'Mark II' fastback Rapier ('Arrocuda').
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club © 2009 Sunbeam Rapier Owners Club Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000